• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

scholar

Lt. General
29 Badges
Apr 15, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Chapter I
The Beginning

Portugal has had it's fair share of Glory and trouble over the years, however things began to take a sudden decline for the last few centuries of her existence. Eventually the Portuguese throne would fall down to this man, João Maria José Francisco Xavier de Paula Luís António Domingos Rafael de Bragança

210px-Domingos_Sequeira_-_D._Jo%C3%A3o_VI.jpg

Let's just call him King João VI of Brazil, Portugal, and the Algarves .

João became the King of Portugal following the death of his mother in 1816. João, however, continued to reside in Brazil which he had recently brought to the level of a Kingdom after the Napoleonic conflicts. This had consequences that would far surpass his wildest dreams, however the most he had to deal with was a liberal revolution taking place the city of Porto. It quickly spread throughout Portugal until a full scale revolt erupted in the city in which there was a demand for João and the entire Portuguese court to return to Portugal. João eventually complied and made his way back to Portugal leaving his son in Brazil who became it's Regent. Political turmoil continued and problems began to abound within the Portuguese Empire, Brazil which had been the center of the Empire for the past few years did not wish to return to principality status under Portugal. Brazil formally declared itself independent in 1822, with João's heir apparent becoming Brazil's first Emperor. João was outraged and removed Pedro (the heir apparent) from his line of succession and refused to recognize Brazil's independence. Nevertheless the nation remained independent and Portugal could due little to stop it, when João grew weak he restored his son to his rightful place as heir hoping that the Portuguese empire could be put back together again upon his death. His death, however, did not fix the empire.

250px-29-_Imperador_Rei_D._Pedro_IV_-_O_Soldado.jpg

Emperor Dom Pedro I of Brazil and King Pedro IV of Portugal & Algarves

The Brazilians did not want to return to the Portuguese. Pedro had been an unpopular ruler inside Brazil, his accumulation of autocratic powers betrayed the liberals he claimed to support. This was when Pedro became King of Portugal before abdicating in favor of his daughter Maria. There was a catch, however. Maria would have to marry her uncle, Pedro's brother, Miguel upon turning to the ripe old age of 14. However, since Maria was only seven years old Pedro's sister Isabel took over as Regent for Portugal. This was a solution that was agreeable to all parties in Portugal, including Miguel. Miguel, however, was not a patient man.

After just a short while after Miguel's appointment inside Portugal he began to remove liberals from the government inside Portugal and those who were loyal to Pedro, his sister, and his daughter. Eventually the liberals began to rebel, but they were quickly defeated and fled to England. Of all of the Portuguese territories only the Azores remained loyal towards Pedro and his government. The United States and Mexico were quick to recognize this man as the new face of Portugal.

225px-Miguel_of_Portugal.jpg

King Miguel I of Portugal

Great Britain, France, Spain, the Papacy, and many others had entirely different opinions about the coup. Miguel quickly launched a squadron of ships to take the Azores, but he was soundly defeated. The Brazilian Emperor soon abdicated the Brazilian throne to his son and began to make his way towards Portugal. Pedro would lay siege to Porto and attempt an invasion of the Algarves, which succeeded. From here he went to take over Lisbon where he quickly began ridding the city of Miguel's supporters among the state and the church and proclaimed Maria Queen of Portugal, with himself as regent. From here Portugal along with Spain, France, and Great Britain agreed to work together to get rid of Dom Miguel of Portugal and Don Carlos of Spain. This very act ended up securing Miguel's surrender and subsequent exile. With all this put behind him, Dom Pedro finally was at peace and died in quiet retirement. This left Queen Maria II of Portugal and the Algarves in complete control of the country.

210px-Maria_02_Portugal_1819_1853_young.jpg

Maria's life at been a turbulent one, but now she was Queen and in control of her own country. The first the that Maria did when she became Queen was begin looking for a husband, something that she found inside Auguste, The Duke of Leuchtenberg. They were, however, married for but two months before Aguste died. Left without a husband yet again Maria began looking elsewhere. This time she found a husband inside Prince Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. The two were wed and Maria became pregnant with their first child. Their first child, Peter, was born on January 1 of the year 1836, marking Ferdinand's ascension to the throne as King of Portugal and the Algarves.

200px-Fernando_II.JPG

King Ferdinand II of Portugal and the Algarves

Ferdinand oversaw a Portuguese Empire with territories stretching from Europe, to Africa, and even India with extensive land holdings. Still, the Portugal of today was a far cry from the past empire that was amongst the most powerful and prestigious in all of the world in terms of maritime trade. The time where Portugal had ruled the seas and mastered trade had come and gone, but perhaps it would come again? Ferdinand began reorganizing the taxes within the empire and started invest fully within educating and promoting safety among the populous.

Ferdinand, however, was weary of Spain. While the Spanish had risen far higher than Portugal and fallen far further than them, they were still powerful enough to swallow Portugal if necessary. What was even more distressing to Ferdinand was the fact that the Spanish had significant influence over Mexico to set them at odds with the United States. The very thing seemed like a foolish thing for Mexico to do of it's own free will given the power of that nation. However, for Spain to convince it to do so must mean there is, perhaps, also a Spanish nation intent on recapturing it's former glory. Russia, however, was more than powerful enough to go against the weakening Ottoman Empire.

Ferdinand could live with this quite easily, however news soon reached Portugal that France was one it's way to war yet again. Ferdinand let out a heavy sigh of relief learning that the assault was on the African nation of Tunisia. Ferdinand had hoped that they would have more than enough troubles there to keep them busy. Still it was a vain hope, so Ferdinand looked inwardly towards his people. Ferdinand moved his focus towards re-establishing proper education reform. To do this he needed to completely introduce entirely new ideas into Portuguese society. These ideas would later collectively become known as Positivism.

Ferdinand also wanted to expand Portuguese lands immediately. Something that would be of a particular boon to Portugal would be to take out the Zulu people who had resisted the British Empire so well. While the Portuguese army began to march it was the Zulu who surprised Ferdinand. They had come to Portugal seeking help against the British! This simply would not do, Ferdinand wanted conquest, not peace, with the savages. Needless to say, it was rejected.

Still, before war could fully be made another state inside South Africa came to Ferdinand seeking aid against the British, this time it was the state of Oranje. This time Ferdinand accepted the offer, there would be no point in taking out an ally inside the region. While in the case of the Zulu, taking them out would increase prestige against the British, something Ferdinand wanted greatly. Oranje was welcomed within the Portuguese Empire's list of alliances. Shortly following this, the Netherlands also requested an alliance. It would appear as though Ferdinand had become quite popular among the world. This offer would be accepted as well.

Just as Ferdinand was about to order war against the Zulu, another thing appeared before him to distract him from that goal. This time it was a group of Catholic clergy complaining that the Portuguese people like their drink far too much. While Ferdinand did not care to even bother with such things, he quickly supported a temperance movement put forward by the clergy. Immediately drinking alcohol became viewed as a sin and the movement began to gain support. While this would have no influence what so ever if Ferdinand were to have a drink, it gave headaches towards those who continued to drink despite this rampant increase in moralism.

V2_11.jpg

Finally, with all this behind him, Ferdinand made a push for war against the Zulu.

150px-KingShaka.jpg

The Zulu were a proud people in the southern reaches of the African continent. Due to their superior skills, maneuverability, and mastery of the terrain they had outwitted the British on more than one occasion. Their great King, Shaka of the Zulu, had passed on the Zulu mantle of leadership to his half brother, Dingane.

120px-King-Mpande-1.gif

Dingane began his long campaigns of uprooting the British who dare settled in his lands often leading to military skirmishes with the British. Ferdinand hopes to completely crush the savages with a small invasion force of just 3000 men. The invasion began after the total collapse of the once large 27,000 thousand man army. Now, there just 3000 remaining protecting the Zulu lands. The exact cause of the disappearance of much of the Zulu's martial might has been put to much debate, where possibilities range from disease to full scale civil war. Regardless of the reason, the invasion begins.

Despite what Ferdinand had expected, the Zulu did not stay within their lands as the invading force made it's way down Mozambique, but rather invaded the Portuguese holdings there. The Zulu charged with everything they had to take the fight to the colonial forces, and even though their weapons were not European, they terrified the populous there. The Zulu were a force to be feared.

Zuluchargegutt.jpg

Never the less, an engagement occurred between 3000 well supplied and armed Europeans against a similarly sized Zulu force. Fighting was fierce, but inconclusive. The Zulu retreated back towards their lands and the Portuguese pursued. Following their victory the Zulu quickly regrouped and another pitched battle occurred around what the Zulu call "Ulundi". There the Zulu were beaten yet again forcing them to withdraw. This time Dingane would be the victim of a martial coup for his lack of success. A new attack began to remove the Portuguese from Zulu land. This time the Zulu would be decisively beaten. They retreated and made three more attacks, in vain, to relieve their territories. After that there were no more battles with the Zulu. The Portuguese simply mopped up the remaining territories.

Ferdinand was thrilled with the overall success of the Campaign and organized a widespread celebration within Lisbon. The annexation of the Zulu had brought Portugal right to the British border sending a clear message to the British, and his first cousin Victoria. Despite cries from many of the conservatives within Lisbon that such an action would make the Portuguese appear hostile towards the British, Ferdinand could do little but revel in his success, the map of Africa had been redrawn.

PortugueseAfrica.png

Still, not all the glory remained with the captured territories in the Zulu. In fact, the Portuguese colony of Angola had become the pinnacle of success within the colonies. They had become, for all sense and purposes a European province, no longer being a colony. News of such success spreading so soon after the defeat of the Zulu was a great boon to Portuguese prestige and catapulted them to the forefront of European society

ModelColony.png

Just as Ferdinand had finally become happy with the world, the nation of France was brutally attacked by Spain after the French had gotten into a war with Prussia over the Rhine. The King of Spain looked towards Portugal for assistance. The question of intervening in the war against France. The question was weighed in Lisbon. After two days of debate the issue was settled. Portugal was going to war.

War.png

Last edited:
Thank you for taking part in the contest and good luck!
I linked your thread in the contest list, and I will follow your AAR :)

Mind that the contest ends on the 15th November and you will need to have 5 chapters for the contest till then,
so please update your AAR accordingly, because every missing chapter from the 5 necessary
will give you -20 points substracted from your total score.
I hope you will be able to get the chapters necessary in time. :)

Also thank you for your first chapter, but sadly it isnt fitting the contest guidelines.
You have way too many pictures for a update for the contest.
The guidelines say 4 to 10 is a good ammount to go with, altough i accepted before
updates that had more (I try to be flexible with those guidelines), but you have over 25...
Sorry, i cannot accept that, please edit your chapter so it fits the guidelines specified in the rules.

You could split parts of and make a prolouge out of them, or make several updates out of this one for example.
How you do it is up to you, but it has to fit the contest guidelines. (for pictures and for words per update!)

Also i can see that you have a problem with the big watermap from my MIP (ugly stretching, does not fit),
Please use the one from the "\optional\Smaller Water Colourmap" directory instead,
that should work for sure and give you correct sea borders.

Last edited:
Going to war against France, this should be interesting to see what happens.

Thank you for taking part in the contest and good luck!
I linked your thread in the contest list, and I will follow your AAR :)

Mind that the contest ends on the 15th November and you will need to have 5 chapters for the contest till then,
so please update your AAR accordingly, because every missing chapter from the 5 necessary
will give you -20 points substracted from your total score.
I hope you will be able to get the chapters necessary in time. :)

Also thank you for your first chapter, but sadly it isnt fitting the contest guidelines.
You have way too many pictures for a update for the contest.
The guidelines say 4 to 10 is a good ammount to go with, altough i accepted before
updates that had more (I try to be flexible with those guidelines), but you have over 25...
Sorry, i cannot accept that, please edit your chapter so it fits the guidelines specified in the rules.

You could split parts of and make a prolouge out of them, or make several updates out of this one for example.
How you do it is up to you, but it has to fit the contest guidelines. (for pictures and for words per update!)

Also i can see that you have a problem with the big watermap from my MIP (ugly stretching, does not fit),
Please use the one from the "\optional\Smaller Water Colourmap" directory instead,
that should work for sure and give you correct sea borders.
Don't worry I should have four more updates by November 15th. I'll probably have another one today, though maybe not.

I removed nearly all non-essential pictures cutting down the total amount to 12. I know it's two more than you would like, and if necessary I'll remove Dingane and the redrawn map of Portugal, but hopefully I've cut down the total by more than enough. The reason why I didn't split it into two parts is because I didn't want to have a prologue that's detached from the game, in any case I hope everything is alright by you!

And thank you for even simply following the AAR even if it goes south, I owe you one just for taking a look!

Nice introduction i'll be following your AAR

Let's see what you will do against the French!!
Thanks! Hopefully I'll give them one hell of a fight!

Going to war against France, this should be interesting to see what happens.
While I hope Spain actually succeeds, I have the eerie feeling that it's going to end in a white peace, never the less I'll be sure to make the most of it.

(...) I removed nearly all non-essential pictures cutting down the total amount to 12. I know it's two more than you would like, and if necessary I'll remove Dingane and the redrawn map of Portugal, but hopefully I've cut down the total by more than enough. The reason why I didn't split it into two parts is because I didn't want to have a prologue that's detached from the game, in any case I hope everything is alright by you! (...)

Thank you for editing your chapter so it can fit in the contest guidelines, 12 is okay for this one.
4 more chapters to go for the contest, good luck with your War :)

While I hope Spain actually succeeds, I have the eerie feeling that it's going to end in a white peace, never the less I'll be sure to make the most of it.

A white peace is exactly what I was thinking, too. Then things could get messy!

Chapter II
Rise to Greatness

France was very much a nation in complete confusion over not only itself, but the world. Just a few decades ago France had shook Europe down to it's very foundation. Napoleon, arguably the greatest military commander of the age, had conquered Spain, forced Portugal's royal family to seek refuge among her colonies, dismantled the Holy Roman Empire, replacing it with a much more efficient design, damaged Austrian Hegemony among Germany, and made it to Moscow, the capital of the largest and most populated European country in the world. All this he had done riding on the back of France. Now, however, Napoleon was gone, having died over two decades ago. Still, France's thirst for conquest had endured.

210px-Franz_Xaver_Winterhalter_King_Louis_Philippe.jpg

This man, the King of France, Louis Philippe, had made his rein one of conquest, terribly upsetting the balance of power that had been drawn up some years prior to prevent another devastating war. While France was not the only ones making their reigns one of conquest, France was the only one who made his presence felt throughout all of Europe. Following the French annexation of Tunisia, Louis Philippe captured many Prussian territories in the Rhine and had extended his sphere of influence as far as Brazil, Belgium, Switzerland, and the Papacy. While none would dare stand up against Louis Philippe's campaigns to once again bring France into a position of dominance in Europe, many of the other great powers began to openly condemn the nation. Spain, however, was resolute in making a stand against their rebellious neighbor. A colonial conquest of the Algiers was drawn up and Ferdinand eager to prove that Portugal was still among the great powers of Europe supported the move.

While Spain began to flood troops into the French African possessions, they had begun to lose the war within the actual European continent. The French marched dozens of regiments to invade Spain in retaliation, Spain hastily mobilized much of it's lower class peasantry in the hopes that they may be able to hold off France for long enough for a peace treaty to be arranged. Ferdinand would not allow his overbearing neighbor to fall too quickly and organized an expedition force of 18,000 men to head deep into Spanish territory to help defend Iberia from the french. The army was lead by a man named Urbano Vidigal.

Near Bilbao, a Spanish army lead by Agustin Rojo was battling against the French military commander Thibaut Vaillant. Even though Agustin outnumbered the French, after the Spanish suffered from a string of losses and many of his soldiers homes were lost to the French their moral was low. Near a pivotal moment the Portuguese army lead by Urbano attacked the France, catching them off guard. With new reinforcements Augustin rallied his forces and organized a counter attack. The battle was a victory, Bilbao was secured from the France and for a time there was victory on the continent.

images

The Battle at Bilbao

Even though there was success at Bilbao, an overwhelming amount of military disasters struck all along the French border. Spain was losing the war. The Portuguese did what they could, earning a score of victories all across the border, but things felt hopeless. Denis Bazaine, a french commander, was leading his troops towards Barcelona. Urbano knew that the loss of such a city would cripple the Spanish and organized a force to mount an offensive. The battle was a total route. The French were far from their supply lines and within four days of fighting the 9000 man fighting force surrendered to Urbano. The victory was short lived as now France's allies began putting troops on the battlefield. Sweden among them, their battle would be short as their forces were unaccustomed to the terrain and the weather. Never the less this would be a great mark in the projection of Swedish power across Europe. While spain lay in utter devastation, Sweden had replaced it.

Spainsfall.png

Urbano was stretching his forces to the limit. There was no way his now 15000 strong army could defend all of Spain against the French forces. But perhaps he didn't have to. Urbano quickly began fighting battles he knew he could win while abandoning the Spanish forces where the odds were hopelessly in France's favor. The tactic began to work, all of the France captured territories were under siege from Spain as the French troops wore themselves out against the mass of disorganized Spanish troops lead by Agustin. One moment after Agustin retreated from a battle with general Emil the Portuguese struck. Fierce fighting ensued and the battle turned against Portugal, before the battle was over, however, Denis Bazaine offered a truce between Portugal and France. Urbano quickly accepted the offer and fled back to Lisbon with much of his army still intact. Ferdinand had already signed a peace treaty with France after the French blockaded all of Portugal's ports, strangling the nation, but news did not reach Urbano until he was already well within Portuguese lands. Spain signed a separate peace treaty a month later after it's war effort collapsed without Portugal.

The ability of Portugal to stand among France in the battlefield increased it's prestige to the forefront of European society. Within two years of the conflict with France Portugal had become a great power, rivaling that of any other nation.

PortugalsRise.png

Nevertheless the entry of Portugal into the world stage was an unwelcomed sight by Louis Phillipe, who had already began bringing the war torn Spain into his fold. Ferdinand immediately began a war of political subterfuge within Spain against France, as well as increasing Portugal's hold over Oranje and Transvaal. The battle of diplomats became legendary among European culture between the King of France and the King of Portugal. Eventually Portugal won out after carefully cultivating it's image as a brother nation, and it's valiant defender against the French invaders. Portugal had risen again.

Over the next few years Portugal regularly traded place with the Ottoman Empire over a position of power, after the Ottoman Empire lost face from a failed attempt to recaptured their territories from Egypt with the United States intervening on behalf of the Egyptians. With Portugal firmly within the ranks of the great powers, Ferdinand began contemplating conquest of the Oman held african coast, however the war with France had nearly bankrupted the nation so Ferdinand had to be happy with his current position. Nevertheless Portugal would not remain quiet, eagerly incorporating their colonies into fully established states within the Portuguese empire by expanding the bureaucracy wherever the Portuguese tongue had gained acceptance. By 1853 the world had begun changing drastically and Portugal would be leading the way to a new age of European dominance.

theGPs1.png

Zeworld.png

Last edited:
An interresting read and a good update, thank you for your chapter 2! :)
Keep on updating, 3 more chapters needed for the contest.

Mexico, i see what you did there! :D
Argentinia seems to also have won a war,
and do i see right that prussia swallowed allmost all of denmark?

Glad you came out so well of your War, now the path is set to even more glory :)

An interresting read and a good update, thank you for your chapter 2! :)
Keep on updating, 3 more chapters needed for the contest.

Mexico, i see what you did there! :D
Argentinia seems to also have won a war,
and do i see right that prussia swallowed allmost all of denmark?

Glad you came out so well of your War, now the path is set to even more glory :)
Thank you!

I think I'll let everyone discover all the little bits and pieces of gold scattered around that map. I have to say things are turning out differently from some other games I've had, but yes Denmark is on it's last legs. Once it loses Greenland it can be annexed by the Prussian menace.

Last edited:
Chapter III
Turning Points

210px-Christianviiidenmark.jpg

The Danish Sovereign Christian the VIII

The Danish people once had a seafaring empire stretching from Greenland to the West Indies, and to their homeland. They were never an overbearing people, often quick to make peace with their more powerful neighbors to their south. Ever since the beginning of this new age, they have been left behind. If that was not insulting enough for the Danes they would often be the target of war. Prussia, a military giant, was busy establishing it's dreams of grandeur. They attacked the Danes, robbing them of most of their possessions leaving them merely their home islands and their distant colony inside the west indies. This left the Danish sovereign without much left to his name. He feared for the sovereignty of not only himself, but his people, and as the years went on he was forgotten by all, except Ferdinand who was eager to establish a presence in the new world. With very little warning the Portuguese began their invasion of what was left of Denmark to sign over their last overseas possession.

images

The Portuguese Fleet

The Danes fought hard, but after just four months of fighting the nation declared bankruptcy and was at the mercy of the Portuguese. Reluctantly, the Danes signed away the last of their possessions. Christian VIII had presided over his own destruction, there can be no greater curse for a Sovereign of a proud people. There was nothing left for them now, except the vain hope that the European powers that be had no further designs on the last of the Danish possessions.

Saint Thomas was entered into the collective Portuguese territories with great zeal by Ferdinand, once again the Portuguese had a foot in the new world.

SaintTomas.png

Things weren't quiet while the Portuguese made off with new lands, once again the French and the Prussian armies met along the Rhine and this time the Prussians were decisively crushed. There was little they could do as Louis Phillipe poured his men into the disorganized confederation of German states, many opting to leave the war through separate peace treaties leaving Prussia to suffer a humiliating defeat, once again giving up German lands to the French invaders. The very foundation of Europe was trembling under France's armies. To counteract any possible French involvement Austria signed an alliance with the Portuguese that if either one of their nations were to come under attack that they would aid the other in defeating the others' aggressors. Many in Austria wanted to strike the Prussians while they were weak, but for some reason the Austrian Emperor refused.

Ferdinand had spied another nation to add into the Portuguese empire. The Caliphate of Sokoto was one such nation. Founded just a generation or two before, it was a strong, centralized, Muslim nation bound together by a common bond. Many miles inland, protected from European incursion the nation there thrived. That was until Ferdinand organized an expedition to discover the kingdom and conquer it. The Portuguese expedition had little luck finding the Caliphate while traversing the thick jungles that lay between Portuguese lands in Angora and the nation, never the less eventually the expedition did find the Caliphate a full year after it set out to capture to territory. The Sokoto forces pushed back the Europeans with great force, and most gains were lost.

images

Nevertheless a peace treaty was organized with the Sokoto Caliph, where they ceded minor border regions to the expedition. For a time there was peace and the Portuguese rested. Five years later, however, a second expedition was sent out from Angora to completely annex the state. More battles took place but eventually the better armed troops won out against the Caliphate and in 1861 a peace treaty was forced upon the Sokoto Caliph to become a protectorate of the Portuguese empire. Ferdinand had added another territory to the Portuguese empire. Fate would be unkind to Ferdinand as his wife, Maria, would depart from this world. According to Portuguese tradition and law Ferdinand stepped down from the throne to allow his son, Peter, to succeed him.

Pedro_V_de_Portugal.jpg

Peter was Ferdinand and Maria's eldest son, and a much more modern man than his father. Peter focused on more troubling events happening far closer to home, such as the partition of Morocco. The Sultanate of Morocco had been slowly consumed by the Spanish Empire, but since Spain fell from greatness the sultanate had managed to secure some amount of freedom in what was left of it's lands. The Netherlands were quick to fill the void left behind by the Spanish and launched an invasion of the Sultanate, sheering away several more vital territories of the Sultanate. And the nation of Sardinia-Piedmont was, perhaps, the strangest of the partitioners, beginning an invasion just days after the sultanate was put into a position of utter irrelevance. By the time Peter ascended to the throne the sultanate of Morocco was gone and Portugal had two new rivals close at hand.

Morocco.png

But, perhaps, a more pressing matter was occurring across the seas. The United States of America was in the middle of a civil war, brought on by their recent defeat by the British and the ongoing slave debate. The stars and stripes went up against the stars and bars. Battles pitting brother against brother tore across the United States.

02032246qwl.jpg

Texas's inclusion within the Union had isolated them against the Confederacy in the early parts of the war, however now two years had passed and much of Louisiana and Missouri are well within the Union's hands. Nevertheless fierce fighting ensues across the Confederacy, what little gains that had been made inside West Virginia and Maryland had turned to losses. President Lincoln announced an emancipation of the slaves in those states that had rebelled. The Portuguese Empire has long since outlawed Slavery and viewed the United States as evidence of the past. They viewed this emancipation as nothing more than a tool to use against the Confederacy while still denying freedom to those slaves who remained within the union.

362px-Cicatrices_de_flagellation_sur_un_esclave.jpg

When the Portuguese embassy in Washington was harshly dismissed and further attempts to open communication with the United States met with total avoidance the Portuguese have had enough with the despicable United States, declaring war on them with the precise goal of humiliating them. The sight of Portuguese ships off the coast of Washington sent the entire nation into a state of panic, president Abraham Lincoln organized a swift peace treaty with the Confederacy in order to deal with a hostile external threat. Candido Correia lead the invasion of Delaware, crushing a local battalion there lead by Norton Stevens. Abraham Lincoln's dream of a united America had been crushed within mere hours. The Confederacy was free and the United States was all the weaker because of it, the Portuguese immediately began intercepting fleeing ships. The United States was under naval blockade.

Sept11HistoryLakeChamplain1812.jpg

The Portuguese Naval Blockade.

Within months the state fell to Portugal and Candido began his fabled trek to Philadelphia, crushing several union armies on his way there. When the great city was taken from the Americans the great Anarcho-Liberal rebellion took place, devastating the already war torn United States. The Portuguese were eager to end the war and lead their troops down to Washington D.C, there the city was taken by the Portuguese but not before the United States army burned the city to the ground to smite the invading Portuguese. Within days the United States conceded defeat to the Portuguese. Peter died just days after news of the success of the war made it to Lisbon, leaving the throne to his brother Luis. No one is sure where Portugal would have ended up with Peter in charge of the Portuguese empire for a while longer, but what is known is that Portugal is for the poorer without him. It is now up to Luis to lead the Portuguese mantle of leadership into the new age.

Last edited:
Farewell Ferdinand. (did he live to see the death of his son?)
Rest in peace Peter. (why did he die?)
Hooray for Luis!

Poor Danes, reduced to one province they will be easy prey and soon be history.
Sokoto, not a target i would have picked i think, did they put up much of a fight?
Portugese troops in Washington D.C. - Peter had quite Cojones :D

Great chapter 3, thank you for that!
2 more to go for the contest :)

Ferdinand had the unfortunate lifespan to witness the death of his son, Peter. The reason why is because I'm using the actual Portuguese royal family as a basis. Peter lived a few more years than he should have, so I thought I'd make him successful leaving Africa and perhaps industrialization up to his younger brother. Sokoto was fairly easy to subdue. It took 3000 troops under a decent military commander to completely destroy them, though occupying all their territories took a while. The Portuguese flag waving over D.C. was glorious. I should have taken a screen shot of it instead of taking on of their rather small resistance, and it wasn't even in Washington:
Por-USA2.png

The Americans didn't put up much of a fight, so I was tempted to make the war last a little longer. Too bad it was costing far too much, so I doubt I could have afforded it. In the end I just peaced out with humiliating them.

A good read. Can't wait for more.

Thanks for the explanation interlude scholar!

Cant wait to read on :)

It's about time somebody wrote a Monarchist Portugal AAR for V2 which contained more than zero chapters!

I'm not sure why you went to war with the US, it seems a little pointless to me but I did like the irony of the Union suffering a naval blockade.

Good work so far, keep it up!

Portugal currently has no real industry, so it's holding on to it's GP status through sheer force of Prestige and Military scores. There are a lot of vultures waiting around to take Portugal's place if Portugal's prestige doesn't keep climbing. When the United States was in the middle of a civil war and a nice CB dropped right on my lap, who was I to refuse a good opportunity to keep another GP weak and boost some prestige? It could have ended horribly, but I checked the warscore before I went to war. It also had a dual purpose, keeping the Confederacy alive, and keeping a good half (third) of the United States outside of the United States. The U.S. is only about 40 points above Portugal, I can't let them get too far ahead. And... of course... it was a fun thing to do at the time. :D

In any case, thanks for reading! I hope you enjoy future updates.

Now this is one ambitious Portugal - Luis has his hands full, and no matter what options he takes it's an uphill climb. Peter could do it - can Luis? The one thing I can say is that I'll be rooting for him all the way! :D Amazing (and rather funny) job invading America. One thing I'm interested to see is if it'll make them keen for revenge down the line... Looking forward to more! :D

Now this is one ambitious Portugal - Luis has his hands full, and no matter what options he takes it's an uphill climb. Peter could do it - can Luis? The one thing I can say is that I'll be rooting for him all the way! :D Amazing (and rather funny) job invading America. One thing I'm interested to see is if it'll make them keen for revenge down the line... Looking forward to more! :D
Thanks for reading and commenting!

Hopefully America will be too busy trying to capture the CSA to pay attention to little old Portugal.

With any luck I'll have the next update finished in the next few hours, thanks again for commenting.